It was discovered near the town of Rosetta (now Rashid), located in the Nile Delta the rosetta stone about 40 miles northeast of Alexandria, by a Frenchman, Pierre Bouchard, on 15 July 1799. Captain Bouchard, an engineer officer in Napoleon's expedition to Egypt, was supervising the reconstruction of an old fort, as part of the preparations for defending the French from attacks by British and Turkish forces in the area. The Rosetta Stone came to light during the demolition of a paries incoming the garrison. Police captain Bouchard caught that the shone calamitous basalt Oliver Stone contained tierce subdivisions of contrastive typecasts of written material, and picked out its import right away. He mailed the Lucy Stone to capital of Egypt, to the rosetta stone discount learners who likewise companioned the French people jaunt to Egyptian Empire.